Saturday, 26 April 2014

Ballysillan - street names and place-names (2)

A glen is the Ulster-Scots word for a valley, generally traversed by a stream or river and the name Glenbank referred to the house on the bank of the glen.  The word glen was originally a Scottish Gaelic word that passed into Scots and then into Ulster-Scots.  The name survives in Glenbank Drive and Glenbank Place as well as Glenbank Park and Glenbank Business Park.

The glen is also the origin of Glenside Park, Glenside Parade and Glenside Drive

Springvale estate is off the Ligoniel Road and the name dates back to the 19th century.  Springvale Terrace, a terrace of five houses, was below Springvale Street ad there were four houses on one side of Springvale Street with vacant ground on the other side.  Some of that vacant ground was used for the Corporation public washing baths, which were built in 1910.  The name may well refer to one of the many springs which emerge all over the Ligoniel and Ballysillan areas.

Tedburn Park was built by a Belfast businessman named Ted Burns and he named it after himself.

Limepark Street and Limehill Street were off the Ligoniel Road.  The 'lime' element in the names refers to the limestone which gave rise to the name Ligoniel.

Barginnis Street was off the Crumlin Road and was named after the townland of Barginnis at Lylehill. 

White Brae includes the Ulster-Scots word brae, which means a hill or hillside or a road with a steep gradient.  The word 'white' refers to the white limestone in the ground.
Braehill estate sits on the slope below the Upper Crumlin Road.  The Ulster-Scots word brae refers to a hill or hillside or a road with a steep gradient and the name combines both the Ulster-Scots and the English forms.

Hesketh lies between the Crumlin Road and the Ardoyne Road, above the Everton Centre and there is Hesketh Road, Hesketh Park and Hesketh Gardens.  Hesketh is an English surname, derived from a placename found in several parts of northern England and it comes from the Old Norse (Viking) hestr (horse) and skeio (racecourse).  Hesketh Road was developed between 1937 and 1939.  Acording to the street directories there was also to be a Goodison Park and a Wavertree Park but these were never developed although the 1942 directory lists Immanuel church Hall as located at Wavertree Park.  Nevertheless these names suggest the origin of the surviving name, Hesketh.  Wavertree is an area in Liverpool, Goodison Park in Liverpool is the home of Everton Football Club and Hesketh Park is the largest park in Southport, close to Liverpool.  It seems therefore that these names were suggested by the earlier Everton.

No comments:

Post a Comment